Sunday, April 10, 2011

Six Word Story

Ernest Hemingway wrote a complete story in just six words. "For sale: baby shoes, never used."

With just those six words, an entire story is created in the reader's mind. I picture a bereft woman, clutching her empty, but swollen stomach. She could have had a miscarriage or gave birth to a stillborn. Maybe she found out she couldn't have another child. Or maybe her and her husband decided not to try for another. There's pain and sorrow in those six words.

In today's post, I'm going to try to create a story with six words. I'll make several attempts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Blood dripped from her sliced wrist.

You were great. I'll call you.

Is that lipstick on your collar?

Dear Mom, I'm sorry. Love, Alex

Still fingers, blank page, frustrated writer.

He knelt before her. She gasped.

For Sale: baby sister, no refunds.

One revolver, one bullet, Russian roulette.

5 comments:

  1. A lot of those were pretty dark...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful words.

    Thank you for sharing with us.

    Swapbot: ThePrincessR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's amazing how just the right mix of so few words can say so much.

    neverwashis on swapbot. FMBB swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. comment, take two!

    I love this project you are doing. I love having a reason to write stories with topics chosen for me. Sometimes it gets me spinning off in directions I never thought possible. Fantastic job on creating a sense of imagery and poetry in just a few words! I could learn from these cause I get very wordy sometimes! Keep up the awesome blogging!

    Becca (Springknitter/BPositive)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so lovely! My favorite was...
    You were great. I'll call you.

    I entered the Six Stories swap as well, it's such a fun challenge.

    And I like how they are so quick to read! I have a hard time reading long stories these days.

    Lucystar@swap-bot FMBB swap#2

    ReplyDelete