Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Five Days of One-Minute Writings

These one-minute writings were inspired by oneword.com.

The word for September 1st was "sponge." Here's my entry:

I drop the sponge in the sink and turn on the faucet. My hands, red from cleaning chemicals, feel raw even as the cold water washes the dirt from them. I need moisturizer. I need a maid.

Some people can write a lot in one minute, but I don't write that much. My brain doesn't work fast enough. I edit as I write, which can be a problem. My goal is to just write and write and write without stopping to edit until the story is complete and needs to be edited.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The word for September 2nd was "salt." This is what I wrote in a minute.

He licked her neck, then trailed kisses to her lips.

“Mmm. Salty,” he whispered. He lifted his hands to frame her face before delving his tongue deeper, entwining it with hers. She clung to him, her arms wrapped around his body.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


September 3rd = "pepper"

People tell me to put pepper on the counters so that when my cat Bean jumps on the counters, she’ll breathe in the pepper and violently sneeze and never want to go back on there. I know it works for dogs when you throw pepper in the garbage cans because my sister does it with her dog. However, I don’t really want a peppery mess on my counters. Michael wants to put mouse traps covered with paper plates on the counter instead, so that the sound of the snap will scare the heck out of her.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

September 4th = "division"

“My mind’s divided. Should I go with the blue shirt or the green shirt?” Maya asked Jane.

“Blue. Definitely blue,” Jane replied. “It brings out your eyes.”

Maya threw the green shirt on the bed and undressed in front of Jane. She’d become used to it, though she still didn’t like to change clothes in front of Maya.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


September 5th = "ant"


The ants, disturbed by my mother sitting on a log very close to their hill, crawled up her legs in fiery anger. She jumped up and brushed them off in a panic, already noticing red welts on her bared ankles.

No comments:

Post a Comment