Tuesday, April 29, 2014

If I Were a Pony

Today is Day 29 of National Poetry Month. My poem is inspired by the TV show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

If I Were a Pony
By Candace Shultz

If I were a pony, I wonder who I'd be.
A fashionista like Rarity?
No. I can't sew clothes or mend any tears.
A party thrower like Pinkie Pie?
No. I don't want to plan parties, bashes, or fairs.
An animal lover like Fluttershy?
I love cats and dogs, but I'd be scared of a bear.
And I couldn't be like Rainbow Dash flying through the air.
If I were to run or fly, I'd just crash, I bet.
Could I work on a farm just like Apple Jack?
Getting dirty on a farm? That you can forget.
Could I be like Twilight Sparkle, reading stack
After stack of books, studying all the time?
I love to read, but her magic is just not for me.
No, not one of these ponies could I mime.
After all, a pony I am not meant to be.

But if I were a pony, this is what I'd do:
I'd join the Cutie Crusaders, be one of their crew.
I'd write them each a story about an inner gift:
A carpenter, a singer, and a scooter rider.
Sometimes I think those fillies just aren't too swift.
So when they read my stories while drinking apple cider,
Maybe, like me, they'd understand their spark,
And then we could all earn a cutie mark.
I wonder what my mark would be?
Pencil? Paper? Typewriter? Scroll?
I think I already know what I would see.
Fountain pen? Blog page? I'm on a roll.
No. On my flank I'd see a book.
I love to read. I love to write.
Knowing my talents is all it took.
Day after day, night after night,
I like to create a story, poem, or tale.
I might not write for the Foal Free Press,
But I am surely an author without fail.
In this I certainly feel blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment