Thursday, April 7, 2016

Savor a Snickers

The NaPoWriMo prompt for Day 6 was to write about food, so I wrote about Snickers, which I happened to be eating while writing my poem.

Savor a Snickers

He brought me a Snickers home.
That seems such a minor thing.
But with a baby screaming for his dinner,
His unwanted squash all over my shirt,
And another child running back and forth
Like her life depended on never stopping
While yelling at me to keep watching,
Well, I needed that Snickers.
I needed to let the chocolate melt in my mouth,
To hear the peanuts crunching in my teeth,
To taste the salty sweetness on my tongue.
I needed to be alone with my chocolate.
I wanted to take that Snickers and run
And hide so I didn't have to share with little hands.
No, bringing home chocolate was not a minor thing.
My sanity saved, I savored the Snickers upstairs
And let the kids run wild with their Daddy downstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment